After School Child Care
Our after school child care or schoolage programs are designed for children who attend half-day kindergarten or for 6-11 year-olds who need supervised care before or after school. We transport children in State of Michigan approved Gretchen’s House buses driven by staff with Chauffeur licenses.
In the mornings, the schoolage programs serve breakfast, provide quiet activities, and transport children to their respective schools. Half-day kindergartners are picked up at school and eat lunch served at the center. In the afternoon, half-day children have interest center time, free play, and large group activities inside and outdoors. Children who attend afternoon care are picked up at school and return to our centers for snack, freeplay, and group activities. Children who have homework or prefer to read may do so in quiet areas of the classroom. As with all our programs, schoolage children go outside every day.
During days when the Ann Arbor Public Schools are closed, our centers with after school programs offer care for schoolage children and siblings of children currently enrolled in our other programs on a first-come, first-served basis. Schoolage children who come to the center on no public school days need to bring a sack lunch from home. No School Days often include field trips to local attractions and/or themed activities such as Beach Week. During the summer, centers with schoolage programs host Summer Camp, or SCamp. Read more about SCamp here.
The teacher-to-child ratio in our schoolage programs is generally 1:10.
The Gretchen’s House locations which offer transportation to and/or from local elementary schools do so if enrollment allows. The following apply to the 2012-2013 school year:
- Mt. Vernon, Ann Arbor After School Care Program transports students to and from Eberwhite Elementary School.
- Oak Valley, Ann Arbor After School Care Program transports students to and from Dicken, Lawton, Bryant, and Pattengill. They will consider students from Eberwhite.
- Traver, Ann Arbor After School Care Program transports students to and from Logan, Thurston, King, and Angell (need at least four students from this school to make the trip).
- Dhu Varren, Ann Arbor After School Care Program transports students to and from Northside, King, Logan, and Thurston.
- Chelsea Community Schools