Gretchen’s House will provide sunscreen for all children and will apply sunscreen to children prior to going outside. Parents whose children need a specific brand of sunscreen because of allergies or other medical reasons may provide that sunscreen with a doctor’s note and medication permission form. Special sunscreen must be labeled with the child’s name and used only by that child. Staff will post a notice to this effect in the classroom. The sunscreen that Gretchen’s House supplies will be PABA-free, water resistant, and have an SPF of at least 30. The name of the brand used will be posted in the classrooms.
Staff will follow these procedures:
- Apply sunscreen during the months of March through October and other times when the sun seems intense.
- Apply sunscreen in the morning and afternoon and anytime necessary in between, preferably ½ hour prior to exposure.
- Apply sunscreen liberally, with special attention to cheeks, shoulders, backs of legs and upper arms.
- Apply sunscreen before and after water play.
- Do not apply sunscreen to infants under 6 months of age unless specified in writing by a parent.
- Do not apply sunscreen to toddler’s hands. Place high on foreheads away from eyebrow, since sweat can cause it to get in children’s eyes.
- We may apply zinc oxide to the ears and nose of infants and older children.
- School-age children may apply sunscreen to themselves with adult supervision.